Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Let the Arrow Soar

I came across this meme a while back and it really resonated right now. The end of the year/beginning of the year is often a time of reflections and resolutions. Too often, we reflect negatively on the past year. We see failures and 'shoulda, woulda, coulda's'. We see the weight we didn't lose or that we already gained back, the goals we didn't meet, we see the adventures we never took. We vow this next year, we will be different. We WILL lose that weight, we WILL read 30 books, we WILL do that 5K. We spend a lot of self-loathing and then making false promises to be different next year.
I suggest we try something new this year. And I know it is a week into 2013, but it's never to late to change your perspective.
What if you looked at it this way:

Last year was a tough year. The last two...hell the last 6 years have not been easy. But I am still standing. I reflect on the last year as my arrow being pulled back, waaaay back! I have learned so much this year, about myself, about what I can and can't control and what I really want for me and for my relationship, for my business. I have learned lots and lots of lessons.

I learned who real friends were, and who were meant to be in my life for just a while. I learned how to stand, tall and proud, in defense of not only myself, but of my wife and family. I have reached that great point in life, where an opinion is just that, an opinion. If I don't like what you have to say, I don't have to listen. If you do not like me, so be it. Have a safe journey through life. I realize now, the number of friends you have means nothing if they are not real friends.

I have learned if I do not change how I behave, I cannot expect anyone to behave differently. I recognized I can be very selfish and childish with my needs and I must be more aware of this in the present. I discovered the type of person I really want and need to be, and that person is not mean or cruel, she does not dwell on the past or bathe in negativity. I rediscovered the power of mother nature and her glory and beauty. I was reminded how the winds sounds and grass feels between your toes. The joy of a goofy dog galloping across a field, tongue flapping in the breeze or standing under a summer moon and just breathing in the silence.

I was reminded this past year, that if I don't love and honor myself, how can expect anyone else to do the same.
I rediscovered how it feels to be stress-free and happy and have a good night's sleep and I do not EVER want to go back. and that sometimes you need to retreat and heal, and that's okay.

So 2012, THANK YOU! Thank you for reminding me that in order to shot an arrow forward, you've got to pull back. 

2013-I am so very ready to be shot into the bright beautiful sky and see where I land. Because wherever I land, I will make the very best of it. I look forward to the twists and turns and crazy adventures you shall lay before me. I am so grateful to be alive, to be blessed with a great and growing partner in life and business and a group of amazing people who support us along the way.

Welcome 2013. It's going to be one hell of a year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment